How to Increase Website Traffic? Start A Business Blog.
55% more site visitors* for companies that blog, according to a Hubspot study. It’s part of any SEO (search engine optimization) strategy.
If you find this helpful please share it via email or social media.
Why add a blog to your website?
- Websites rank better in search engines, if they have more info and fresh content. A blog on your small business website can achieve both.
- Appeals to customers needs. Folks search on line to find a solution to a problem. Your blog can basically be like answering FAQ’s, thus providing value for the potential customers. This separates you from the competition.
What is a blog?
Basically a series of “posts” or short articles on various topics, usually sequenced in order from newest to oldest. A website used to be rather static (relatively unchanging) thing. But as technology made it easier to add fresh content-the distinction between a blog and a website now is blurry- a blog is a type of website or it can be 1 part of a website alongside more stable content.
How to Start the Blog?
If your website is built using a content management system (CMS) like WordPress, Joomla or DRupal-it means you can add content easily.
- Contact your designer if you are unsure of how to add a new page to your site and make the minor adjustment to make it show the “blog posts”- that you will be adding.
- If the term “blog” doesn’t appeal to you or sound professional enough, then-some other possible names for the page that will show the posts are:
- Latest News
(see section #2, of another post, on naming the url of the page for best SEO juice)
What to Write About
I like to educate by giving examples as it’s often easiest way. So I’ll use some sample businesses.
- Do think of your new blog as an extended FAQ-at first. Make your first post address a common customer question-and that can provide many posts down the line. It will help you get inside the head of customers. What problems are they having that you solve?
- If you’re a dry cleaner-have posts on removing simple stains-and when not to try.
- A hair salon- different services should have a nice post on what they are, with an attractive picture too perhaps.
- Profile a long standing employee. Or a long time customer? I’ve seen yoga studios do profile of a student.
- Or tie in with a current event-did someone famous announce a health issue or problem?
- Review a product-with a clear disclaimer to protect yourself.
- Showcase a recent success story-a problem you helped to solve.
How Often to Post?
As a small business owner myself I understand you are busy, and basically can always find some work to do! That’s why you are an entrepreneur.
- I would say a minimum of 1x a month or bi-weekly. Even better 1x a week.
- Honestly it’s hard to be conclusive because, if your business has lots of competitors and you are in a major city-then you need to do more-blog more to stand out. You will also need ongoing SEO.
- If you are in a small city or less competitive business-the 1x week till you have a bunch of posts can hold you ranking well for a year or more….it’s all hard to predict.
Contact me with questions or for affordable SEO Consulting Services, I will be honest with you if you are in a small metro area, non-competitive it’s easier to make you stand out and priced accordingly. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere for some clients they simply needed a better website (not fancy but clear and brings in customers) and that was enough to put them on page 1! It all depends.
Business Blogging Resources:
Blogging Best Practices at Hubspot
Need more ideas? Check out this post on 100 Practical Ideas for Small Business Blog Posts, to stimulate your own blog post writing..